Monday 13 June 2011

Typographic Posters

These are my final designs for the Typography Project, where I had to design a poster promoting a selected book from a list, primarily using type. I chose the book 'New Vintage Type - Classical Fonts for the Digital Age'. Looking through the book I spotted the old Russian fonts, and instantly decided to create a constructivist style poster. 

 For this piece I focused entirely on the font. Trying to connect all the letters together in some way. And to be honest the set up of the letters did not go as originally planned. However, I think that it turned out okay. The sunburst behind gave it a good effect.

 My type poster based on the Soviet Star. Created in Illustrator, I vectored up the star, and added in the type in between the spaces. Using the direct select tool I distorted the letters to fit them in within the gaps more appropriately. The background is covered with the names of the authors, reflected and copy/pasted continuously, and reduced opacity. This is my favourite design out of the 3 finals I produced, since it went to plan and turned out exactly the way I wanted it.

  My third and final design, I tried to add a more sunburst feel to my poster. Instead of using imagery, I created the burst using text. I don't think it makes such a big impact on the image as whole though. I added the typical Russian star in the bottom corner with the subtitle of the book. I think the colours work great and gives a powerful effect, however the type of imagery I tried to create with the text didnt work as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment