Wednesday 29 June 2011

FMP Reflection

 For my FMP I decided to produce an A3 holiday poster and an A5 brochure to advertise tourism in Turkey. I first researched into Turkey, the culture, traditions, cuisine, holiday locations and resorts. This helped me gather good info of what I should include in my poster and booklet. My poster was based mainly on advertising Istanbul, such as the landmarks - Sultan Ahmet, Bosphorus Bridge, Maidens Tower, Galata Tower etc. After some work I decided to include the Sultan Ahmet in the background as a silhouetted building in the background. I added some calm purples and oranges in the background to produce a relaxing evening scene, with a dinner table overlooking the city from a balcony, creating a sort of romantic feel to the image. So I guess this appeals more to couples than family & friends. It was fun to make, even though it was quite a simple vector image, but I like the relaxing feel the imagery and colours give off.

 Creating the booklet was quite a challenge, as working on InDesign isn't my strongest point nor is creating any text based designs which involve layouts. (e.g. Magazine project) It involved photographs of everything including resorts, landmarks, history, cuisine, maps, and anything else related to those categories. The text I wrote my self while taking reference from online sources about somethings I wasn't sure about. Some pages did not have enough written on them, or wasn't able to fit in the text due to too much info so I had to work out ways in which I could fill up the pages appropriately so there would not be large gaps between the text and imagery. Personally I didn't find making the booklet too enjoyable since I didn't really like the layout of it, but the imagery I think, was the best outcome from this. I tried to focus entirely on calm, light blue colours throughout the booklet, e.g. titles, headers, sub headers etc. And I tried to find alot of imagery including beaches and seaside resorts which would fit the theme of the booklet very well. 

 This project wasn't really to my taste as advertising isn't really my strong point. It was quite difficult to come up with some ideas since the imagery I could use were quite limited, I mainly had to get imagery on anything based on Turkey and holiday resorts and locations. So I couldn't really create my own designs but stick with what already exists. If I were to do this project again, I would most likely ditch the booklet idea and possibly create another poster or two, which would have been alot more creative for me. Another choice would have been to pick a completely different subject, such as comic book illustration. Same as my Narrative Image making project, where I focused on the Crime Noir scene. This would have been alot more enjoyable and I wouldn't have to be too limited about creativity and designs.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment